[paragui-users] Full UNICODE support

From: Kamil Skalski
Subject: [paragui-users] Full UNICODE support
Date: 12 Feb 2003 01:56:04 +0100

Well, I didn't get answer about Unicode support in ParaGUI, so I took
the effort to get through FreeType and ParaGUI code. And then I've
managed that ParaGUI lacks it at all. I really need this feature, so I
played a little bit with code.
So far I've changed text display (FontEngine class) to support UTF8.
This encoding is very useful, because all character with codes < 0x7F
are coded just as they are. Real fun begins with characters which
Unicode codes are >= 0x7F (for example polish diacritic characters).
They are coded in UTF8 as several characters (from 2 up to 4). Luckly
they are very easy to parse, so after some time I at last have
possibility to draw in ParaGUI EVERY character which is provided by
TrueType font :) (BTW, why full recompilation of library is needed to
applications notice about changed dynamic linked files...?)
I think it is very nice feature to include in main code, but for now it
lacks one very important thing - input support and, as I looked into
LineEdit code, many changes in code involving text processing...
So now I would like to consult my ideas with the forum. I'm ready to get
into code and make all needed corrections.
If anybody is interested I can provide my patch to forum or some link to
how my change looks like (some screen).

Kamil Skalski