Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Unit Test/Start-up Procedure for Paparazzi?

From: Stephen Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Unit Test/Start-up Procedure for Paparazzi?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:07:04 -0700

Hello,

You could develop a nice ground based test that uses an additional GUI
or CLI based on Python or similar that reads messages from the ivy bus
and steps the user through a number of actions with user feedback to
provide verification without any additional onboard code requirements.
For example, the GUI could request the user hold the plane near level
for 5 seconds and check the messages for pitch and roll readings and
stability, then request the user roll the plane left wing down and
check IMU readings for correctness, moving through any number of
tests. First tests may include telemetry/datalink verification, md5
checksum validation etc. The test program could also send a few
commands to the aircraft (like change mode) and check that this
occurs. In this way, the user still has complete control over the
aircraft at all times.

Alternatively, a module might be a good place for a pre- or
post-flight test suite, perhaps again linked with an ivy bus agent on
the ground. It could be started and/or stopped to reduce cpu load
during regular operations. The module could also be as simple as a
failsafe that does not allow throttle control until after a message
from the ground agent is received.

Just some thoughts. We use old-fashioned laminated checklists for our
preflight (packing-assembly-preflight-pretakoff-postflight checklists
actually).

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer