Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Support in Paparazzi Code-base

From: Jake Stewart
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Support in Paparazzi Code-base
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:53:01 -0500

Chris, you might want to check out the Fastrax UP501 GPS module.  It uses the
same mediatek chipset and has better specs for everything I checked.  It's also
$28 (Mouser) instead of $60 (SparkFun).  I couldn't find any normal electronics
distributors carrying the LS20031, so that is maybe a red flag in some ways.

I've got a UP501 and it seems to work well (limited testing only).  I'll be
working on getting that running also, so we could share efforts.  I was really
surprised to see that PPZ doesn't normally support standard GPS.  Anyone know
why an oddball protocol was chosen as the basic GPS interface?

-Jake