nano-devel

Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 15:21:22 +0200

Op 14-08-2020 om 12:31 schreef pepa65:
> On 14/08/2020 14.37, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> How come you want to know the total width of the current line at all
>> times?  What is the use case?
>
> it's usually more with long lines and softwrap that it's really useful.

I still don't get it.  Is it because when a line gets softwrapped, this
isn't readily visible on the screen (when not using --linenumbers)?  Do
you want the full width of the line indicated on the status bar so that
you can at one glance realize that the current line is softwrapped?  If
yes, do you then need to know the exact total width?  Or would just an
indication that the line is softwrapped be enough?  The latter you could
achieve by using --guide with a number that is double the width of the
terminal (when not using --linenumbers).

(Personally, when softwrapping, I toggle on linenumbers to be able to
see which lines are softwrapped.  The small loss of horizontal space
is well worth it, in my opinion.)

>> Configurable!?  Nano would need to acquire an entire language to allow
>> the user to specify what should be shown in the status bar and where?
>
> I thought just in .nanorc, a line like:
> set status "  %n %1%2%s%l,%c   %f   %u"
Thinking things up is easy.  Programming that is a major effort.

Benno