nano-devel

Re: Some questions about nanorc.5

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Some questions about nanorc.5
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 15:46:54 +0200

Hello Mario,

Op 14-08-2020 om 22:22 schreef Mario Blättermann:
> while translating nanorc.5, I stumbled upon some things which I don't
> understand:
>
>           older
>             Retrieves the previous (earlier) entry at a prompt.
>
>           newer
>             Retrieves the next (later) entry at a prompt.
>
> Which »prompt« is meant here? A shell prompt or anything else?

It refers to a prompt within nano, like "Search:" or "Command to execute:",
not a shell prompt.

>           findbracket
>             Moves the cursor to the bracket (brace,  parenthesis,  etc.)  that
>             matches (pairs) with the one under the cursor.

> »bracket«, or do they point to different bracket types, like curly,
> square or angle brackets?

The latter, I suppose.  In nano, "bracket" refers to anything that is used
in pairs in order to group things together.  See 'set matchbrackets'.

Also « and », and “ and ” can be treated as brackets if you add them
to 'matchbrackets'.  (This even allows silly things like making "a"
the matching counterpart for "z", or "•" for ".".)

Benno