nano-devel

Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp

From: pepa65
Subject: Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 17:31:31 +0700

On 14/08/2020 14.37, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Op 13-08-2020 om 16:36 schreef pepa65:
> How come you want to know the total width of the current line at all
> times?  What is the use case?

it's usually more with long lines and softwrap that it's really useful.
I've used editors before that only showed the current position, and
that's OK, it's just if I could choose, I'd like to see it.

> Then you can press M-D instead.
Excellent!

> Partly it is information that
> can be accessed with a single keystroke (<End> or ^C).

Yes, End is a way to get the line length, as long as it's not wrapped (I
always have softwrap on).

> Configurable!?  Nano would need to acquire an entire language to allow
> the user to specify what should be shown in the status bar and where?

I thought just in .nanorc, a line like:
set status "  %n %1%2%s%l,%c   %f   %u"

Where %n = current filename, %1 and %2 are indicators, %s is middle
space (everything to the right of it gets right-aligned), %l is current
line, %c is current column, %f are the flags, and %u is the unicode value.

Cheers,
Peter