nano-devel

Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp

From: pepa65
Subject: Re: even smaller than morespace plus nohelp
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 20:15:05 +0700

On 2020-08-09 7:48 p.m., Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> You mean with --constantshow?  But... isn't that far too much information?
> Personally I never use --constantshow because the information that I
> sometimes want (the current column) is too hard to find among the twelve
> fields that are shown.  Which of those fields do you really always want
> to have displayed?  For me it would be line number and column number,
> nothing more -- no totals, no percentages.

Fields 1+2 and 4+5 would be all I really want of those 12 fields, the
final 3 I never use. I don't need actual percentages, I can get a close
enough impression when I have current+total column & line.

I don't want to use the scroll bar because compact-interface.

>> I would love if it could also display what is in the current cell
>> under the cursor.
This would be an asset to me, even if only using ASCII, but certainly
with UTF-8.

>> The top bar has the filename(s), and that is nice, but only when I need
>> to see it. I would love for it to be toggleable, or be displayed during
>> a key press. That way more important information (the file's content)
>> can be seen.
>
> I don't see the need to make it togglable, as the filename would be in
> the alternative status bar, something like this:

This would be a great improvement to me!

I do use multibuffer, and the top line could display more than 1
filename, and for that reason I would (also?) like a toggleable top bar
with the filenames in the tabs, but just having the bottom line with all
the salient information, including the filename would be wonderful.

Cheers,
Peter