monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Monotone and usher

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Monotone and usher
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:07:12 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 28 Dec 2010 01:14:28 +0100, Ludovic Brenta
<address@hidden> said:

ludovic> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
ludovic> > One thing I'm thinking now is that monotone-usher doesn't migrate any
ludovic> > database automagically...  that should probably be added, and it
ludovic> > should probably be something for usherctl to handle in a nice way...
ludovic>
ludovic> Could you please explain the differences between usher and
ludovic> monotone-usher?  I wasn't aware there were two packages.

Considering you obviously have had a look, I'm surprised you haven't
looked at the contents of the control file ;-)

ludovic> Is it correct to assume that monotone-usher is built from the
ludovic> monotone sources and usher is not?

No.

The package 'usher' installs the programs usher and usherctl, along
with their documentation.

The package 'monotone-usher' installs a central usher project
directory tree, a startup script (/etc/init.d/usher) and all the logic
around that, under control of the administrators (also through
usherctl).

The reason for this is that any user has and should have the potential
of having his own usher (and therefore only need the 'usher' package)
while at the same time, it should be possible to have a central repo
on a grander scale (provided with 'monotone-usher').

Here are the installed files for each of them (basically the content
of /var/lib/dpkg/info/usher.list and /var/lib/dpkg/info/monotone-usher.list):

  : ; cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/usher.list
  /.
  /usr
  /usr/share
  /usr/share/doc
  /usr/share/doc/usher
  /usr/share/doc/usher/README
  /usr/share/doc/usher/doc
  /usr/share/doc/usher/doc/documentation.html
  /usr/share/doc/usher/changelog.Debian.gz
  /usr/share/doc/usher/changelog.gz
  /usr/share/doc/usher/AUTHORS
  /usr/share/doc/usher/NEWS.gz
  /usr/share/doc/usher/copyright
  /usr/share/man
  /usr/share/man/man5
  /usr/share/man/man5/usher.conf.5.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1
  /usr/share/man/man1/usher.1.gz
  /usr/bin
  /usr/bin/usher
  /usr/bin/usherctl

  : ; cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/monotone-usher.list
  /.
  /usr
  /usr/share
  /usr/share/usher
  /usr/share/usher/usherctl.conf.base
  /usr/share/usher/global.conf.base
  /usr/share/doc
  /usr/share/doc/monotone-usher
  /usr/share/doc/monotone-usher/changelog.Debian.gz
  /usr/share/doc/monotone-usher/changelog.gz
  /usr/share/doc/monotone-usher/copyright
  /var
  /var/log
  /var/log/usher
  /var/lib
  /var/lib/usher
  /var/lib/usher/projects
  /etc
  /etc/default
  /etc/default/usher
  /etc/usher
  /etc/usher/conf.d
  /etc/logrotate.d
  /etc/logrotate.d/usher
  /etc/init.d
  /etc/init.d/usher

Basically, it's a setup similar to 'monotone' and 'monotone-server'

Perhaps the package names are poorly chosen.  That could easily be
changed, though.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/