monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Monotone and usher

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Monotone and usher
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:23:58 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:12:48 +0100, Ludovic Brenta
<address@hidden> said:

ludovic> Richard Levitte writes:
ludovic> > ludovic> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
ludovic> > ludovic> > Basically, it's a setup similar to 'monotone' and
ludovic> > ludovic> > 'monotone-server'
ludovic> > ludovic> >
ludovic> > ludovic> > Perhaps the package names are poorly chosen.  That could
ludovic> > ludovic> > easily be changed, though.
ludovic> > ludovic>
ludovic> > ludovic> Yes, I think it would be a good idea to rename them to
ludovic> > ludovic> "usher" and "usher-server".
ludovic> >
ludovic> > Hmmm, according to your policy, it would seem I shouldn't commit any
ludovic> > new changes to org.debian.usher for now.  Perhaps that wasn't exactly
ludovic> > your intention, so should I create org.debian.usher.for-usher-1.0?
ludovic>
ludovic> No, the policy is in terms of the target release of Debian
ludovic> you want to upload to.  If you intend to upload to unstable
ludovic> (after the freeze is lifted) then org.debian.usher is the
ludovic> appropriate branch.  If you want to upload to experimental
ludovic> then the appropriate branch is org.debian.usher.experimental.
ludovic>
ludovic> However, there has been no upload of usher at all so far, so
ludovic> we could make an exception and allow uploads to experimental
ludovic> from the main branch, org.debian.usher.  This obviates the
ludovic> need for any sub-branch.

For consistency, I think a .experimental sub-branch is more appropriate.
That way, there will be no need to rewrite or put more exceptions in
the policy as well.  That's the path I'll follow for now.  If you have
strong opinions against this, I can always change the branch cert
before pushing (I will wait for your response before doing so).

What's the prognosis on when the freeze on unstable will be lifted, do
you know?

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/