monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Not uploading 0.48-4 due to deep freeze

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Not uploading 0.48-4 due to deep freeze
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:31:34 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:00:36 +0100, Ludovic Brenta
<address@hidden> said:

ludovic> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
ludovic> > Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> said:
ludovic> >
ludovic> > ludovic> I suggest that further packaging efforts be spent on the
ludovic> > ludovic> upcoming monotone 1.0 on the branch
ludovic> > ludovic> org.debian.monotone.for-mtn-1.0.
ludovic> >
ludovic> > Considering how things seem to move around (see the branch
ludovic> > net.venge.monotone.source-tree-cleanup), this branch might need an
ludovic> > update before long.  Just something to be ready for...
ludovic> >
ludovic> > ludovic> Another thing I would like to see is good support for usher.
ludovic> >
ludovic> > How do you mean?
ludovic>
ludovic> I mean that
ludovic> installing monotone + monotone-server should Just Work(tm),

Check!

ludovic> installing monotone + usher should Just Work (tm)

Check!

And also, monotone + usher + monotone-usher Just Work (tm): Check!

ludovic> and migrating from monotone-server to usher should Just Work
ludovic> (tm).

Well, there's no migration between those, the package "usher" simply
installs the program.  For a central server setup, there's the
monotone-usher package.  So migrating from monotone-server to
monotone-usher:  Check!

For all this "Check!", I assume usher and monotone-usher 1.0~dev-x.
The reason for it is that usher contains usherctl upstream, and the
monotone-usher package depends heavily on that (I worked on them in
tandem).

ludovic> Migrating back from usher to monotone-server is nice extra
ludovic> functionality but not absolutely required.

There's no real migration back.  The only migration done so far is
that the monotone-usher package simply copies the data that
monotone-server set up, if there is any.
Of course, we could change monotone-server to copy monotone-usher's
__catchall__ project if there is one, but as you said, that's more of
a nicety than a requirement, and I think I'll stick to the
requirements for now.

ludovic> IIUC, you are almost there already but there seem to be
ludovic> issues of compatibility between versions of usher and
ludovic> versions of monotone.

Well, monotone-usher depends on monotone being 0.99 or newer, is that
the issue you're talking about, or is there something else?  If there
is, I've missed it and can't recall being informed.  Could you expand
on the subject?

One thing I'm thinking now is that monotone-usher doesn't migrate any
database automagically...  that should probably be added, and it
should probably be something for usherctl to handle in a nice way...

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/