Re: [Mldonkey-users] List of 'nice to have's and bugs

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] List of 'nice to have's and bugs
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:16:29 +0100

Am 22.11.2003 um 14:27 schrieb Pierre Etchemaite:

You're fighting against the fact that you have less interesting sources to get the few chunks that you're missing to complete a file against all the sources available to resume a file that's still far from being completed.

Of course. As incomplete files are useless and far from complete files are more easily to continue, this makes preferring almost complete files even more urgent.

Check donkeyOneFile.find_client_block, it only switches to another file when nothing interesting can be selected for current file.

... which is wrong, IMHO.

Well, I can't find a file with this name, but anyway. Common scenario is, as sources drop in, you first get a chance to download a chunk for a more incomplete file. With current behaviour, mldonkey whould continue with this file until it is completed or there are no more chunks for this file available. A file with a high priority or an almost complete file is left untouched. Even raising the priority of a file while mldonkey is running has no effect at all. This matches exactly my observations.

A better algorithm whould check priorities/completeness of all files at each chance, the decision which chunk to request next, is to be made. This algorithm whould continue with low priority / very incomplete files if there are no chunks for files with high priority available, only.

Enjoy,
Markus

P.S.: Sorry, I can't come up with a patch, I'd have to learn ocaml, first.

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/