Re: [Mldonkey-users] List of 'nice to have's and bugs

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] List of 'nice to have's and bugs
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:27:55 +0100

Le Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:13:56 +0100, Markus Hitter <address@hidden> a écrit
:

http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Wiki&pagename=priority

> MLdonkey seems to have a strong priority towards the most incomplete
> file. The only way to prefer a file seems to pause all others.

priority is given to files with higher priority; then for files of same
priority, to files that were downloaded the most (see
commonInteractive.force_download_quotas).

That could be modified to give more priority to files that are the most
completed (lowest file_size - file_downloaded). While I think it would be a
bit better, I'm afraid it wouldn't have as must effect as expected. You're
fighting against the fact that you have less interesting sources to get the
few chunks that you're missing to complete a file against all the sources
available to resume a file that's still far from being completed.

Also theck patch #2094
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailpatch&patch_id=2094&;
group_id=1409), that would make priorities more effective, and that was
recently applied to the official tree...

> IMHO, if a remote client has a file with a high priority, files with
> lower priorities shouldn't be requested from this client at all. The
> remote client will send one chunk at a time only, regardless how much
> you request from him(?).

Check donkeyOneFile.find_client_block, it only switches to another file when
nothing interesting can be selected for current file.