[Mldonkey-users] Re: Re: ET_COMPATIBLECLIENT

From: spiralvoice
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Re: ET_COMPATIBLECLIENT
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:11:20 +0100

Hi,

On Do 20 Nov 2003 11:29:17p Martin wrote:

> NACK. how often should mldonkey ask if the specs have changed?
> once a day? a week? no. if he made changes to the protocol *he*
> has to tell everyone participating...

just take a look at the changelog of his site:
http://lugdunum2k.free.fr/kiten.html, there is a Changelog;-)

New in version 16.40 :

    * Extension of the UDP protocol to allow clients to ask sources for
many MD4 hashes at once, instead of one UDP packet for each MD4.
(should reduce UDP traffic by a 2 or 3 factor)

    * Clients using the new protocol gets more sources than other
clients.

    * Extension of the UDP protocol to send many Search results per
packet.

    * zlib support to compress big frames exchanged with clients (share
lists, search results)

    * Ability to perform a search with MD4Hash (to retrieve associated
tags of a file (NAME, SIZE, TYPE, ...)

    * Tracking of too old emule versions.

    * keepalive pings are most of the time piggybacked into other
services messages : lower TCP bandwidth (using less IP packets)

> btw: i dont like changes that *one* person decides...he just
> implemented things he thought would be good...this was not very
> community-friendly....

I bet he does not send mails with suggestions to /dev/null

> do you really think the old versions are still out there? they
> should be recognized by mldonkey as "old mldonkey" didnt they? i
> havent seen one since almost a year (and im online 24/7 with 2
> mldonkeys)

I am also online 24/7, here are my stats:

Current session, 8h, 33 old MLDonkeys
Total uptime, 122d, 4963 old MLDonkeys

I opened a thread about that topic in MLDonkeyworld
mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1890

> if lots of people would have a look at it all holes can be closed...

I still have Mison mods connecting to me;-) You are right when it comes
to OpenSource software and despite writing from a M$ system I prefer
Linux, *if* it solves the tasks. I also prefer Open Source because bugs
can be found more easily and so on..., but I also think on the Donkey
net are people who want to abuse it and keeping some stuff private is
not su bad after all. But it is a conflict between openness of source
code and the possible abuse or the advantages of it, after all, the
balance counts. And Lugdunum provides the specs of "his" server to all
developers for free, so he is not Microsoft;-)

Lugdunum wrote:

> server rules ? Ask me. I NEVER received a mail from mldonkey dev.

mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=9543
Page 3

But after all its not important for me who did or did not something as
first or as second, contact has finally being made.

> they cant bring us down ;)

Thats true, xmule2 core seems to be around the corner in some time but
I think MLDonkey, with all its bugs, is already a proven and stable
piece of software and fixing its bugs should not be too difficult
because they have only to do with protocols.
Performance and long lasting use (10 days or longer) is already
possible so MLDonkey grew out of its child boots a long time ago:-)

> i guess you wanted to say this should NOT end in a flame war...

Oops, of course;-)

> ACK so lets hope for a bright future.... im already curious about
> the changes to fit lugdunums protocol....

<typical_AOL_answer>me too</typical_AOL_answer>

Greetings, spiralvoice