Re: [Mldonkey-users] ET_COMPATIBLECLIENT

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] ET_COMPATIBLECLIENT
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:19:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi

>> If you remove left_bytes like suggested by someone in the forum,
>> mldonkey
>> is recognized as a hybrid client (by eMule) - this is not the way we
>> should take, I think.
> i dont think this is a problem at all. the problem is mldonkey <-->
> server not mldonkey <--> emule....

You should see the whole picture. I hardly doubt that more than 2% of all
clients are mldonkey, but >60% are eMules. As a fact, mldonkey should
_not_ favor mldonkey-clients in uploading (I don't know if it actually
still does).

> and even IF we correctly identify as mldonkey we still get banned from
> all lugdunum servers...so ATM i dont see any other way than hiding the
> mldonkey_id and pretend to be a hybrid....

You actually don't understand my point.

IF mldonkey identifies and behaves in a fair manner it won't get banned on
servers and/or clients.
Lugdunum is willing to cooperate and I do not see a single reason NOT to.
He is the guy who knows what hurts the servers, where the problems are and
knows the protocol best. He made it possible that eDonkey is still alive.
Remember servers with 1000 clients maximum because of huge cpu, memory and
traffic load? (I had my own servers back these days). How do you think it
would be today if servers couldn't handle so many clients?
Lugdunum isn't the bad guy - he tries to improve the donkey network and I
think he does this job really great. Improving a server to handle about
200 times the users it could do before without increasing any load is a
very good factor.

Fabrice is back on the coding and I hope he'll make the right decisions in
this issue.

Roland
PS: I thougt you had put me in your killfile. Please do.