Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet Support

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet Support
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:07:57 +0200

Le Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:36:01 +0200, Ken Bradshaw <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> Moreover, I will be much easier to implement the open-source emule one
> than the proprietary overnet one...

<rant>
An open source implementation doesn't make a protocol open. I hope they will
document the protocol thoroughly, and stick to it (or at least guarantee a
compatibility with clients implementing the documented protocol). Unilateral
"extensions" and random compatibility breakage are weapons that were used by
others before. I hope their reasons are different; yet those weapons are
just as effective as they always have been.

(I'd like protocol changes to be actually validated by some committee not
directly linked to any specific project, but I guess I'm daydreaming...)
</rant>