Re: [Mldonkey-users] Internet connection totally breaks down when mldon

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Internet connection totally breaks down when mldonkey is running
Date: 20 Feb 2003 03:17:28 +0100

Karl Bress <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a Linux - system with kernel 2.4.19, mldonkey 2.02 and an
> internet-connection via adsl. Ping to google.de normally is about 140ms. When
> mldonkey is running and building up connections, the ping raises up to
> 16000ms!!!!! I don't think that is ok.... I am using iptables, and the system
> is an Athlon1400 and 512 MB RAM. Any ideas?? Bandwidth for uploading is rated
> to 5k, download rate is not rated.

mldonkey sucks up bandwith and greatly increases your round-robin
time. But do you care? Are you trying to play online action games
while mldonkey runs? Tough luck.

Normaly the more important question is how much transfer speeds suffer
for other connects. Even with such a bad ping replay time downloads
can be quite fast.

You can also try to
- schedule outgoing IP frames and let non mldonkey frames skip ahead
  so they are faster (QoS/traffic shaping)
- limit the number of connects mldonkey uses
- limit the download rate to something below you max line speed
- limit the overall traffic of mldonkey with QoS/traffic shaping
  (including all packet overhead)
- limit the number of incoming connects per time for mldonkey with
  iptables (in case you get flooded)

MfG
        Goswin