Re: [Mldonkey-users] Internet connection totally breaks down when mldonk

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Internet connection totally breaks down when mldonkey is running
Date: 20 Feb 2003 14:13:09 +0100

Debian Abuser <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 04:40:58PM +0100, Karl Bress wrote:
> > I have a Linux - system with kernel 2.4.19, mldonkey 2.02 and an
> > internet-connection via adsl. Ping to google.de normally is about 140ms.
> > When
> > mldonkey is running and building up connections, the ping raises up to
> > 16000ms!!!!! I don't think that is ok.... I am using iptables, and the
> > system
> > is an Athlon1400 and 512 MB RAM. Any ideas?? Bandwidth for uploading is
> > rated
> > to 5k, download rate is not rated.
>
> i recently experienced something similar, my connection went down to the
> point of no longer doing anything when running mldonkey 2.02 for a
> couple of minutes. i had LOTS of 'router kernel: ip_conntrack: table full,
> dropping packet.'
> errors in my logs.
> i've got debian installed on my router, a p75 with 24 mb, kernel is
> 2.4.20, i'm  using iptables to forward to mldonkey which is running on a
> faster machine in my lan.

The conntrack tables is initialised to 1/16384th of your ram. With
24MB ram that should be ~1500 entries. Given that entries linger
around some time even after they are closed it just fills up. If your
dialup disconnects the entries linger up to 5 days.

> i fixed this by doing "echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max"
> on my router and it runs fine ever since, for about a month now.
>
> maybe this helps, matthias

I have it set to 60000 with 32 MB. Better save than sorry.

MfG
        Goswin