Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Was the "make strip" feature ever useful?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Was the "make strip" feature ever useful?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:48:04 +0200

Moritz Bunkus schrieb:
> Volker Grabsch schrieb:
> > So I wonder if we should remove this "make strip" dinosour.
> > Is there anyone using it?
> >
> > This feature is so old, I don't even know if it still works
> > correctly in newer versions of mingw-cross-env.
>
> I'm not using it exactly for the reason you've mentioned: the final
> binaries have to be stripped as well, and that takes care of all
> statically linked libraries as well.

Since nobody seems to be caring about "make strip", I just
removed it:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/9ee8dce5ad7b

> However, if mingw-cross-env takes that step into DLL land as mentioned
> lately then it will become important again. Then it could be
> re-introduced.

Even in that case, I don't think this "make strip" will ever
be useful. Rather, we'll need two sets of DLLs, one for debugging
and one for distribution. So yes, we'll need to call "strip", but
on per-packages basis, keeping the original DLL files.

Also, I'm not sure whether all DLL files can be stripped in the
same way. Sometimes the DLL files do strange meta stuff with
themselves, so so have to be careful what to strip (stripping
debug stuff might be okay, but you usually call "strip -s" which
strips some more stuff).

Regards,

Volker Grabsch