[Mingw-cross-env-list] Was the "make strip" feature ever useful?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Was the "make strip" feature ever useful?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:15:15 +0100

LM schrieb:
> Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> >With today's clone (2274:ef83114beb3c) it has gotten bigger: 6445850,
> >without changing any of the compiled-in libraries on my side (meaning
> >the "make" command I used for building mingw-cross-env was the same in
> >both cases).
>
> Couldn't help wondering if all the executables, libraries, etc. are
> being stripped.  I know I saw some code in the main Makefile for
> stripping.

There is indeed a "make strip" command in mingw-cross-env. However,
this does nothing more than stripping all installed libraries, and
removing stuff that's useless for cross-compiling (like usr/share/*).

It was meant to reduce the disk space of the cross-environment,
e.g. as a preparation for building binary-tarballs of mingw-cross-env.

For an application binary, this is of no use, as you should strip
it anyway before you distribute it. That is, all debug symbols of
the statically linked libraries will be removed anyway.

So I wonder if we should remove this "make strip" dinosour.
Is there anyone using it?

This feature is so old, I don't even know if it still works
correctly in newer versions of mingw-cross-env.

Regards,

Volker Grabsch