Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] size increasing in binaries due to feature bl

From: Moritz Bunkus
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] size increasing in binaries due to feature bloat/creep/whatever
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:05:35 +0100

Hey,

another observation. mingw-cross-env has gotten bigger. Meaning the
executables have.

So far I've always built against hg 2168:c8f74c1592ef from Dec 16 --
never change a running system etc. That way my 7z'ed binaries (with
highest compression, solid archive etc) was 6015674 bytes. Yeah, not
the world, I know. But bear with me :)

With today's clone (2274:ef83114beb3c) it has gotten bigger: 6445850,
without changing any of the compiled-in libraries on my side (meaning
the "make" command I used for building mingw-cross-env was the same in
both cases).

This is a ~ 7.2% increase in file size. I know, I know, still not the
world. However, I host my binaries myself, and I've got petty good
tracking of the outgoing traffic my server generates. On a quite day
it's roughly 33 GB, on a release day it goes up to > 100 GB a day and
stays > 60GB for about a week. So yes, 7.2 % increase in file size
does matter to me somewhat. I'm not concerned yet, but I'd like to
point this out. Feature bloat and therefore size increase is something
to keep in mind, at least.

Of course I have no problem going back to the Dec 16 version for my
own builds for the time being -- after all they've been working just
fine for now. I'll just bite the size-bullet when I need new features
from mingw-cross-env or some bugs fixed.

Kind regards,
mo