Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:15:12 +0200

ST schrieb:
> are there plans to provide a Debian package for MXE?

No, there aren't. However, that doesn't mean it can't
be done. Using something like "make PREFIX=/usr", you
can indeed provide a full build, with full system
integration, which you can package into a *.deb file.

However, keeping this Debian package up-to-date is
a different issue. Also, the whole MXE would be quite
a huge package, where the normal Debian approach is
to create separate small packages. But that's quite
hard to maintain. (see below)

Note that there have always been Debian packages
for MinGW cross compilers, but nobody created any
cross library packages, except mingw-ocaml. I think
there's a deeper reason for that. (see below)

> Can the new multi-arch feature of Debian be utilized for MXE?

This is a funny question, because that was my original
approach before I started mingw-cross-env / MXE. I've
always been a big fan of Debian, so that's what I was
trying at first. Feel free to have a look at my
"documentation" of that former approach:

http://wiki.njh.eu/Cross_Compiling_for_Win32#Debian_cross_compiling_for_w32-i386

Unfortunately, using Debian tools (in particular dpkg-cross)
didn't simplify anything. That's a pity, because those
work so well for other platforms (arm, etc.). So I started
my own project. The exact reasons are documented in the
following old mailing list entry:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/06/msg00013.html

Regards,

Volker Grabsch