Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:20:44 +0200

Hi Tony,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:08:52AM +1100, Tony Theodore wrote:
> Hi Sylvian,
>
> On 28 March 2012 01:06, Sylvain <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> > Multi-arch is a recent feature that allows parallel installation of
> > the same library under multiple architectures.  This can be used to
> > install i386 libraries on a x86_64 system.
> >
> > I recently asked a Debian Developper involved in this feature: it
> > could be used to provide mingw versions of the libraries packages in
> > Debian.
>
> Could you elaborate a little on what that last sentence means? I'm not
> very familiar with the new multi-arch feature, but from what I've read
> I can't see how it would apply.

multi-arch means you can install e.g. libSDL-i686 and libSDL-x86_64 on
the same system.

Architecture-specific files are not installed at the same place
(/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu), and common
files in e.g. /usr/share/doc/ are merged provided they are identical.

A multi-arch package for mingw could well install the libraries in
e.g. /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib.  In the end the developer would type
something like "apt-get install libsdl-dev:mingw".

--
Sylvain