Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debian, multi-arch
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:06:09 +0200

Hi Volker,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:15:12PM +0200, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> ST schrieb:
> > are there plans to provide a Debian package for MXE?
>
> No, there aren't. However, that doesn't mean it can't
> be done. Using something like "make PREFIX=/usr", you
> can indeed provide a full build, with full system
> integration, which you can package into a *.deb file.
>
> However, keeping this Debian package up-to-date is
> a different issue. Also, the whole MXE would be quite
> a huge package, where the normal Debian approach is
> to create separate small packages. But that's quite
> hard to maintain. (see below)
>
> Note that there have always been Debian packages
> for MinGW cross compilers, but nobody created any
> cross library packages, except mingw-ocaml. I think
> there's a deeper reason for that. (see below)
>
> > Can the new multi-arch feature of Debian be utilized for MXE?
>
> This is a funny question, because that was my original
> approach before I started mingw-cross-env / MXE. I've
> always been a big fan of Debian, so that's what I was
> trying at first. Feel free to have a look at my
> "documentation" of that former approach:
>
> http://wiki.njh.eu/Cross_Compiling_for_Win32#Debian_cross_compiling_for_w32-i386
>
> Unfortunately, using Debian tools (in particular dpkg-cross)
> didn't simplify anything. That's a pity, because those
> work so well for other platforms (arm, etc.). So I started
> my own project. The exact reasons are documented in the
> following old mailing list entry:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/06/msg00013.html

Multi-arch is a recent feature that allows parallel installation of
the same library under multiple architectures.  This can be used to
install i386 libraries on a x86_64 system.

I recently asked a Debian Developper involved in this feature: it
could be used to provide mingw versions of the libraries packages in
Debian.

--
Sylvain