Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:42:39 +0100

Also, a variable in the main Makefile won't be initialised since the
script won't exist when it's first called.
This doesn't seem to be a problem in practice. You should probably double
check this in case I am misunderstanding something.
Indeed, it does work, I must be missing something about make's
evaluation timing. I thought we'd see the same problem you since found
in binutils:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/0c474184b1b9

The limitation seems to be that BUILD is not defined properly in the context of a .mk file until another .mk has installed config.guess. Before 0c474184b1b9 gcc.mk did not use BUILD.

BTW, --build isn't really necessary for native builds.

I wasn't sure if the general advice to supply --build when --target is supplied would apply to binutils. If not, maybe we should remove the --build there as well as the comment about not being able to use BUILD. What do you think?

Mark