Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:25:38 +0100

[..]

Prefixing config.guess will cause more confusion than clarity. So I'm
opting for:

     --build="`config.guess`"

which makes clear that (1) this might not be a constant, and
(2) that the build depends on config.guess, and should thus
[..]
the $(BUILD) construction is brittle and hides important
dependencies. That's why I'm replacing this with a more obvious
construct that is less likely to introduce subtle bugs in the future:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/edbbb34baf47

I agree. It's better to call config.guess directly instead via BUILD while still having an uncluttered look:

        --build="`config.guess`"

I just did a final "grep wine" over the sources, and notices
the following patch files:

     src/gtkglextmm-1-fixes.patch
     src/pango-1-fixes.patch

Those still contain some wine cross-compiling hacks. Are those
still necessary, even with our great new "--build" trick?

Those are almost just as certainly obsolete as the removed sed hacks. I'll remove these patches, add --build, do a test build and push the changes if there are no problems.

Mark