Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 02:37:01 +1100

On 28 November 2011 22:22, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 28 November 2011 21:45, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
>> To make the point clear, I'd be even perfectly okay if we add
>> the "--build" option consistently to all packages which use
>> Autoconf, as a matter of "good style" to avoid future trouble.
>
> We could go a step further and use a site config file [1] for this.
> I'll see if it works and report back.

Okay, so creating a config.site in binutils.mk like this:

    # install site-wide autotools config files
    $(INSTALL) -d '$(PREFIX)/share'
    echo ac_cv_build=`'$(1)/config.sub' $$($(1)/config.guess)` >
'$(PREFIX)/share/config.site'
    $(INSTALL) -d '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share'
    cp '$(PREFIX)/share/config.site' '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site'

works for 14 of the 15 packages with outdated config.* files. The
exception is openexr.mk, which builds a native ilmbase with a
temporary prefix. In this case, it's probably simplest to just keep
the patch.

The above doesn't require config.sub to be installed, so we could
remove that step.

I can't test if this technique also solves the wine detection problem,
though I suspect it may, possibly with the addition of "build=" to the
config.site file. If it does, we wouldn't need to install config.guess
either.

Mark, do you feel like testing if the config.site variables bypass the
cross-compile detection and remove the need for "--build" in the
wine-affected packages? You don't need to restart the build from
scratch, just create the '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site' file
and ./configure will use it.

Thanks,