Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:28:24 +0100

Well, I pushed 3 changesets, the last one being. 2138:0eb526c16f16.
Everything builds fine for me now without any "wine cross compiling hacks".
I never expected to end up here when I started cleaning up curl.mk.
This is better, but I still think that

     --build=`$(TARGET)-config.guess`

is more clear than our new variable

     --build=$(BUILD)

In other words, I think that our BUILD variable would
introduce an indirection which makes things less
transparent without providing any real benefit.

I couldn't quite bring myself to call config.guess '$(TARGET)-config.guess' since that seems to me to suggest that it guesses about the target. I also like the uncluttered look of "--build='$(BUILD)'" in the .mk files. Maybe it's just me. If you want to change it, I'll defer to your judgment and won't be offended.

I would also point out that it's already the case that usr/bin is supposed to be first in the PATH when using mingw-cross-env. This directory is already a sort of namespace for our config.guess.
Also, a variable in the main Makefile won't be initialised since the
script won't exist when it's first called.
This doesn't seem to be a problem in practice. You should probably double check this in case I am misunderstanding something.

There's another script, config.sub. I'm not sure what it does, but it
seems to be a complement to config.guess. I imagine that if we install
them in the same place, all will be fine.

Following Tony's suggestion, I went ahead and installed this too, even though we don't use it yet.

I don't mean at all to cut off discussion about this, but I thought it would be nice to see how well it works.

Mark