Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:53:43 +0100

Mark Brand schrieb:
> >    --build=`sh $(TOP_DIR)/[tools|src]/config.guess`
> >
> > This could be wrapped in a new Makefile variable:
> >    --build=... \
> >    --host=... \
> >    --prefix=... \
> >    [--enable-static \]
> >    [--disable-shared]
> >

> It's not really necessary to run config.guess again for each package
> is it? We could just do it once, say, as part of gcc.mk, and store the
> value somewhere. What do you think?

This is a good point, but I'd go even further
an call it in the main Makefile, storing it
nowhere:

     BUILD := $(shell .../config.guess)

On the other hand, the impact on performance is
minimal, so that might be premature optimization.
Also, that would make it even harder to try out
build commands from the src/*.mk files by hand
in the shell.

Maybe it is enough to install a config.guess in
a well-known location, probably to mention it
in the tutorial as other people might want to
use it for the "--build" argument in their application
build.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch