Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:28:27 +0100

>>>   Hint: if you mean to override the result of config.guess, prefer --build
>>> over
>>>   --host. In the future, --host will not override the name of the build
>>> system
>>>   type. Whenever you specify --host, be sure to specify --build too.

> Sounds like a good idea, we do something similar thing in guile.mk
> [1]. I wonder if we should abstract --host, --build, and --prefix into
> a main Makefile variable?

I've tried changing a lot of the package that have the cross_compiling
hack to use --build. No problems so far. Sometimes the config.guess
script is in subdir 'build-aux' instead of the top of the package
tree.

Your idea of arranging this centrally sounds good. I guess it's
probably okay to run something like 'config.guess' once per
installation of mingw-cross-env instead of once per package, but I
wouldn't bet on it yet though. What's your view?

Should we decide to invoke config.guess for each package, is it okay
to do it like this:

    --build=`./config.guess`

instead of using an absolute path:

    --build=`$(1)/config.guess`