Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Specifying --build (was: make curl fails)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:06:29 +0100

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 28 November 2011 22:22, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 28 November 2011 21:45, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> >> To make the point clear, I'd be even perfectly okay if we add
> >> the "--build" option consistently to all packages which use
> >> Autoconf, as a matter of "good style" to avoid future trouble.
> >
> > We could go a step further and use a site config file [1] for this.
> > I'll see if it works and report back.
>
> Okay, so creating a config.site in binutils.mk like this:
>
>     # install site-wide autotools config files
>     $(INSTALL) -d '$(PREFIX)/share'
>     echo ac_cv_build=`'$(1)/config.sub' $$($(1)/config.guess)` >
> '$(PREFIX)/share/config.site'
>     $(INSTALL) -d '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share'
>     cp '$(PREFIX)/share/config.site' '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site'

Since config.sub is supposed to return its argument unmodified
(on success), we can simplify the second line to:

     echo "ac_cv_build=`$(1)/config.guess`" > '$(PREFIX)/share/config.site'

Also, do we really have to install the "config.site" file
into two locations? I'd prefer to install it only once,
into '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site'.

(I prefer $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET) over $(PREFIX) because we
 might want to add TARGET-specific stuff here in the future.)

> The above doesn't require config.sub to be installed, so we could
> remove that step.

I'd prefer it if we could install a system-wide config.sub
and "trick" the ./configure script into using that instead
of its local ./config.sub.

If we can't trick ./configure into using it, there's indeed
no need to install config.sub at all, as there's no need to
call it at all. :-)  (see above)

> I can't test if this technique also solves the wine detection problem,
> though I suspect it may, possibly with the addition of "build=" to the
> config.site file. If it does, we wouldn't need to install config.guess
> either.

Indeed. That could be a good alternative, although
replacing "config.sub" with "echo" might do the
trick as well. ;-)

> Mark, do you feel like testing if the config.site variables bypass the
> cross-compile detection and remove the need for "--build" in the
> wine-affected packages? You don't need to restart the build from
> scratch, just create the '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/config.site' file
> and ./configure will use it.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch