Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:38:53 -0400

%% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:

  ez> In that case, I think this feature needs to be turned off on
  ez> non-Posix platforms.  It will never work reliably; with most
  ez> shells available on Windows, it will simply fail, AFAIK.  At the
  ez> very least, it should be turned off when the shell is not a Unixy
  ez> shell.

  >> OK, well, can someone please suggest the best way to manage this in
  >> the code?  Should we use the check for unixy_shell?  Or...?

  eb> --disable-eol-backslash
  eb> --enable-eol-backslash

  eb> --disable-eol-backslash would be set on by default for known to be non
  eb> POSIX targets else --enable-eol-backslash would be set by default.

No, I don't want to do that.  The more options like this we have the
harder it is to test, maintain, etc.

For UNIX, there won't be any choice about the matter.  GNU make will
behave according to the POSIX spec in this regard; I don't see any
profit whatsoever in allowing both behaviors.

For non-POSIX systems like DOS/Windows we are already breaking the POSIX
spec in some respects, so I have no problem if you want the behavior to
be different in some cases, esp. if SHELL is not a UNIX-type shell.
But, I'd prefer that the code be able to detect this itself without
requiring the user to specify an argument.

  eb> Then use the prior code for --disable-eol-backslash and use the
  eb> new code for --enable-eol-backslash.

The "prior code" is gone; I rewrote that entire section (and it needed
it, too!)  We'll have to reconstitute the correct behavior, which
shouldn't be that difficult to do, actually.  This code is easier to
understand and work with than it was before.