Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: psmith
Subject: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:19:19 -0400

Please see this bug and my followup comment:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=13665

As you may have noticed in the NEWS file for the beta3 release I
referred to this situation, and I'm especially concerned about
DOS/Windows/OS2 versions of GNU make due to the complexity surrounding
their shell commands.

Has anyone on the list looked into this change and verified whether some
kind of special case needs to be made for those platforms, perhaps when
make detects we're not using a UNIX-y shell or something?