Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:18:30 -0400

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:16:17 -0400
  >> Cc: address@hidden
  >> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
  >>
  >> So for example, if you had a rule like this:
  >>
  >> echo foo \
  >> bar

  >> After this change, and according to POSIX, that's not how make is
  >> supposed to work.  Make is supposed to preserve the backslash-newline
  >> and hand it over to the shell, and let the _shell_ deal with it.

  ez> In that case, I think this feature needs to be turned off on
  ez> non-Posix platforms.  It will never work reliably; with most
  ez> shells available on Windows, it will simply fail, AFAIK.  At the
  ez> very least, it should be turned off when the shell is not a Unixy
  ez> shell.

OK, well, can someone please suggest the best way to manage this in the
code?  Should we use the check for unixy_shell?  Or...?