Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:43:57 +0200

> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:19:19 -0400
> From: address@hidden
>
> Please see this bug and my followup comment:
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=13665
>
> As you may have noticed in the NEWS file for the beta3 release I
> referred to this situation, and I'm especially concerned about
> DOS/Windows/OS2 versions of GNU make due to the complexity surrounding
> their shell commands.
>
> Has anyone on the list looked into this change

I will try to look into it over this weekend.  I hope you can wait for
a couple of days.

> and verified whether some
> kind of special case needs to be made for those platforms, perhaps when
> make detects we're not using a UNIX-y shell or something?

There should be no need for anything special.  The ported Make on
these platforms reads (or at least should read) Makefile's in text
mode, so what you have in memory is the same content as on Unix: each
line ends with a single newline character, \n.

The only issue here might be with commands that have embedded
newlines: DOS/Windows shells don't support that, AFAIK.  But I don't
think this is relevant to the issue at hand.