Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:45:09 -0400

%% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:

  eb> The issue is the \r\n line endings so the \ is escaping the \r and
  eb> not the \n.

Are you sure?  I thought GNU make handled this properly.  I know it
works correctly for CRLF line endings that aren't escaped.  I'd have to
double-check to be sure that escaped line endings are handled properly
as well.

  eb> Rereading the problem, I'm have second thoughts about the above.
  eb> Is the issue sed, or the double \\, or make?  If make then the
  eb> above should take care of the issue.

I, also, was very confused by the \\ in the script.  It's too bad the
bug submitter couldn't have simplified the problem into a simple, easy
to reproduce example.  But, I believe the \\ is not the issue because of
the second section, where he puts everything on one line (including the
\\) and gets the correct behavior.