Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with backslash/newline on DOS/Windows/OS2/etc.?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:30:06 +0300

> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:20:30 -0400
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> %% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   >> My preference would be to keep this behavior identical between
>   >> systems (that is, remove the TAB and do not add a space)... one less
>   >> difference between ports is a good thing in my book.
>
>   eb> I should clarify that I mean when !unixy_shell or whatever the
>   eb> variable is.

Yes, please keep the operation under unixy_shell identical to what
Make does on Posix platforms.

> I still think that people make an attempt to use makefiles portable
> between the two systems, even without a unixy_shell on Windows.

This is impossible, by and large: too much of the Posix shell
semantics is unsupported by stock DOS/Windows shells.  See below.

> Most Windows commands (other than command.com) take "/" instead of "\",
> etc. so it's possible for some subset of requirements anyway.

That's not the most painful problem: for-loops, if-then-else, tests
with `[', compound commands like "foo && bar", setting an environment
variable only for the subsequent command ("foo=bar do_something"),
`command` expansion, and a few others are the real show-stoppers.
Unix Makefiles are replete with these techniques, as you, Paul, know
only too well; none of them will work without changes with Windows
shells that aren't Unixy.

So I think the Windows port should keep backward compatibility with
Windows shells and change only the Unixy shell behavior.