Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 23:28:54 +0100

Martín Rincón Botero <martinrinconbotero@gmail.com> writes:

> Your program should never produce c4 ~ 16.

Well, I don't know what a program should or should not do, but the
readability and convenience of this exact notation was considerable part
of the incentive of choosing to do it in this manner: a tied note does
not want a repeated attack when playing, and not needing to write the
pitch again meshes nicely with that.

But I think putting ties on rests in the note entry is an awful idea, so
this motivation to extend the notation to rests appears to be too much
of stretch to me to be desirable.

--
David Kastrup