Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:39:24 -0800

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Bellows <davebellows@gmail.com>
Cc: lilypond-user <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:36:33 -0800
Hey Martin,

> perhaps by giving a minimal example of the particular situation you have, where you feel a “tied rest” is the best possible solution, other people could give you better approaches.

Check out the email I sent just a few minutes before yours, it goes
into greater detail about why I want this particular behavior. The
short of it is that it allows me to treat something like "4~ 16" as a
single duration object (like "4", "4.", "4..", "4...", etc) making it
easy to look it up in a table and result in Lilypond correctly
printing out pitches or rests. So "c4~ 16" would print a C quarter
note tied to a 16th note and a "r4~ 16" would print a quarter note
rest followed by a 16th note rest.

Hope these two emails make it clearer why I want to do this.

Dave

I admit that I haven't been following this thread super closely,

So I don't know if this will help you,

but if you want a single object equivalent to r4 ~ 16,

you can do r4*5/4