Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 22:51:51 +0100

Oh I see. I was also just checking your Platonic Music Engine :-). It seems to me that you interpret a tie the same way you interpret a dot. From that perspective it makes indeed sense to have c4. next to c4 ~ 16. The problem is that both objects are notationally different. Lilypond follows in this case not some invented logic that “makes sense” but the typographic/notational tradition (let’s not forget that you can also tie dotted notes!). The tie in Lilypond is not just a way to add a rhythmic value to another duration, it is an actual tie in the traditional sense/use.

Your program should never produce c4 ~ 16. Even if it’s an big effort to change that behavior, I think it is worth making in the long term (even if in the short term, Jean’s algorithm is saving the day :-) ).

www.martinrinconbotero.com