Re: Future of openLilyLib (to Gilles and David

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib (to Gilles and David
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:01:11 -0500

On 9/22/2020 10:50 AM, Karsten Reincke wrote:
2.B) But if yes, 'my' HelloWorld 'song' depends on the program ly- and/or scm files under /usr/share/lilypond/2.20.0/. They are licensed under the GPLv3. Thus, we have to deal with copyleft effect in any sense because a GPL v3 licensed code is integrated into my code and my code does not work without that code.

Karsten, to further clarify your position, please comment on this variation of the given HelloWorld example:

% BEGIN LILYPOND
\version "2.20.0"

\include "english.ly"

\score {
    cf'4
}
% END LILYPOND

Are you expecting that this HelloWorld example is now covered by GPLv3 due to its dependence on the \include "english.ly" statement?

Now, I am no expert on the questions involved here.

But there are a number of choices available for commercial, proprietary, closed-source software that produces sheet music like LilyPond does.

You seem concerned that LilyPond or related projects could assert intellectual property rights against work produced with them.

Do have similar concerns about proprietary, closed-source software doing the same if you used it? How about if a project needs third-party plug-in products for such software?

Again, I have no expertise, just trying to further understand your position.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA