Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Partitura Organum
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:20:22 +0200

On 22-9-2020 15:49, Carl Sorensen wrote:

Since the music code is not included in the pdf output, the pdf output is not subject to GPL.

The fact, that Mr. Bernard apparently does not want to realize point 5., puzzles me.

I remain respectfully yours

Karsten Reincke

The inability to recognize the difference between a program and the output of a program puzzles me.

Sincerely,

Carl

This is a bit unfair. Karsten did not mention the pdf- or midi-files, he mentioned the lilypond-files: "OpenLilyLib is licensed under the GPL. Thus, the copyleft effect forces that all Lilypond files which include OpenLilyLib files, have also to be distributed under the terms of the GPL.". Thus, if I use OLL in my lilypond and I want to make my lilypond files public, I have to do so under the GPL v3 license.
Or so Karsten states.
Secion 5 of GPL v3 does seem to imply this. The question here is whether typing something like "include oll.ily" in your own ly-file makes your ly-file a derivative work of OpenLilyLib. If "yes" the GPL v3 license demands you license your ly-file as GPL as well if you ever publish it. If "no", well then it is for you to decide which license works best for you.

A nice wrapup from from a softwaredevelopemnt point of view can be read here: https://tech.popdata.org/the-gpl-license-and-linking-still-unclear-after-30-years/

Regards,
Auke