Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 19:27:18 +0200

I probably shouldn’t be saying anything about this because I’m not an expert in licensing. However, Mr. Karsten’s assertion that “my work depends on OLL, not because I use lilypond, but because I functions of the OLL” is wrong. It implies that the content of a Lilypond file is dependent on Lilypond or OLL. The content of a Lilypond file is a musical score (that uses Lilypond’s syntax), which is an independent creation that can be formatted in other programs or by hand. Lilypond’s syntax is not part of the creation, but only the interface to use its formatting options. The presence of OLL doesn’t make an artistic work less independent either, since it only extends Lilypond’s formatting capabilities (which are all independent of the musical work as well). Only in the situation where a musical creation is indeed dependent on OLL to exist (say, an algorithmic composition that needs to run OLL every time is executed, where OLL provides certain predefined pitch, rhythmic or timbre combinations) is where I would be slightly concerned especially if I were to sell and distribute this piece of algorithmic music (that would definitely need OLL and Lilypond to “exist” and would have to be distributed as well). But OLL (nor Lilypond) doesn’t provide any of this, and this hypothetical case doesn’t apply.

Regards,
Martín.

www.martinrinconbotero.com