Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 13:05:33 +0200

Hi.

Moving back to the ML; it was not my intention to discuss this
"off-list"; I hope I won't be sued for public disclosure of a private
communication. ;-)

[See quoted text for the two messages that went off-list.]

> On 22.09.20 12:17, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>> Hi.

>>> Dear Carl;
>>>
>>> here is my explanation using the method of showing an analogy:
>> Is this what your are aiming at:
>>    https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1.html
>>    https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1-faq.html
>> ?
> Yep, but please keep in mind: I think, tt's not necessary to modify the
> licensing statements of Lilypond itself (the interpreter). The GPL-v3
> seems to be perfect.

Then, I don't understand the rest of the reasoning.[1]

Why do you require a different license for using an *external*
extension (like OpenLilyLib), than for using any of 900+ (".ly"
and ".scm" files bundled with LilyPond) internal ones.

Would it change anything if OpenLilyLib were bundled too (or
downloaded automatically as part of the LilyPond installation
process)?

Regards,
Gilles

[1] IANAL: It would be interesting if you could provide links
to cases where a situation as you described has occurred
(i.e. IIUC a court decision that forced someone to offer his
copyrighted work because it was produced with a copyleft
software).