Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 16:26:24 -0600

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM Karsten Reincke <k.reincke@fodina.de> wrote
<snip>

We had this discussion a year ago and I won't repeat the details. The
last time it ended in a kind of unfruitful shitstorm which did not help
anyone. But if you now look for supporters, you have to see that your
license model reduces the list of candidates: They must be familiar with
music, they must love beautifully designed musical text, they must be
able to program scheme (LISP) code (in fact not the most widely used
programming language) and they must be willing to require the others to
distribute their music under the terms of the GPL.

What is special about OpenLilyLib that requires LilyPond music to be released under the GPL, when music not using OpenLilyLib does not need to be released under the GPL?  How does OpenLilyLib change the type of license required for the PDF file generated by LilyPond?

Nearly all other GPL licensed programming libs/programs had the same
problem and found solutions. Linus invented the "explicit syscall
exception" for his kernel, openjdk was released under the "GPL with
classpath exception". That is why I would like to propose again to
re-license the OpenLilyLib under the terms of the LGPL. Or, if that is
not possible, to link the lib with a kind of an "include exception" with
the purpose, to explicitly prevent the including musical scores  from
also having to be released under the terms of the GPL.

LilyPond is GPL.  If base LilyPond doesn't require music to be released under the terms of the GPL, why does including OpenLilyLib suddenly enforce those terms on the music?

I'm not trying to cause problems.   I just don't understand how  including OpenLilyLib in your LilyPond music file suddenly changes the license terms.

Can you explain that to me?

Thanks,

Carl