Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 16:24:23 +0200

Le 13/05/2021 à 22:46, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :

Before starting: These builds are not official, highly experimental, and not meant for "production" installations. They use Guile 2.2 and are slower, might not compile all scores or break some advanced feature that you might use. The binaries might eat your files or do other bad things to your computer - you've been warned! ... That said, you are of course very welcome to read on: Hi all, I revived my efforts from last year to work on a new way to build binaries and possibly replacing GUB. For details on the ideas, see https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-03/msg00337.html and the explanations at https://github.com/hahnjo/lilypond-binaries After some work, I built binaries from the released sources of LilyPond 2.22.1 for * Linux (compiled on CentOS 7; tested on Arch, CentOS 8, Ubuntu 18.04) * FreeBSD (compiled on FreeBSD 11.4; works on FreeBSD 12.2 and 13.0) * macOS (compiled on macOS 10.15 (x86_64); hopefully works on Big Sur)

64-bit, right? This sounds nifty.

I didn't comment on Guile 2 because I didn't have an opinion
and I am not competent about that, but I am pretty sure that
a unified release method that gives 64-bit binaries for Mac OS,
plus Windows, is an extremely strong incentive for moving to
Guile 2 permanently.

* mingw / Windows (x86_64, meaning 64-bit; I hope it still works...) and uploaded them next to the scripts used to create them: https://github.com/hahnjo/lilypond-binaries/releases/tag/2021-05-13 For each platform, there is one "full" package that includes wrappers and interpreters for the scripts; the non-"full" packages expect the system to provide python3 for using the scripts. The packages are plain tar / zip archives, just extract them wherever you want and use the executables in the bin/ directory. Feel free to give them a try, but please keep in mind the limitations: Guile 2.2 and no compiled bytecode [1] means startup will take around 3 seconds.

Having `export GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1` in my ~/.bash_profile (for
development), I got many warnings, mostly about "possibly unbound
variables", during the first run.  That's nothing different from
current master.

There is, however, one error that appears on every compilation.
I don't have it with my local build.

;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0

;;; or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.

;;; compiling /home/jean/lilypond-new-binaries/share/lilypond/2.22.1/scm/ly-syntax-constructors.scm

;;; WARNING: compilation of /home/jean/lilypond-new-binaries/share/lilypond/2.22.1/scm/ly-syntax-constructors.scm failed:

;;; unhandled constant #<fluid 7fcb2efd07f0>

I don't have a full history of 2.23 development in mind.
Was this fixed at some point?

I also experienced the same problem as Lukas-Fabian with
Unicode file names in Frescobaldi with English messages.

Other than that, both the full and non-full versions run fine
on my scores.

Also I'd like to note that the scripts are a proof-of-concept, especially the choice of shell scripts earned me some criticism.

Where can we read this criticism? I may have misread it, but
I don't see it in the thread you quoted at the beginning of
your message.

Out of curiosity only, did you consider CMake?

If the ideas are worthwhile to follow, I'm open to considering Python as long as we can avoid some problems that I see in GUB's design. Cheers Jonas 1: I tried to include bytecode, but LilyPond 2.22.1 doesn't know how to load it. If you're curious, you can get it on your system by compiling a dummy score with GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1 set on the command line. If there's sufficient interest, I could make a build of 2.23.x with it...
Thank you for working on this.

Cheers,
Jean