Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 09:18:23 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 13.05.2021 um 23:49 +0200 schrieb Lukas-Fabian
Moser:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> Am 13.05.21 um 22:46 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> LilyPond development:
>
> > Before starting: These builds are not official, highly
> > experimental, and not meant for "production" installations. They
> > use Guile 2.2 and are slower, might not compile all scores or break
> > some advanced feature that you might use. The binaries might eat
> > your files or do other bad things to your computer - you've been
> > warned!
> It works great out-of-the box on my machine (Mint 20.1) and (after
> one pass with GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1) seems to be as fast as before.
> I'd love to use this on a daily basis (and report possible trouble),
> but: At the moment, it fails when invoked from Frescobaldi (3.2) for
> files containing Umlaute in their path. I'm not quite sure why,
> because the problem does not occur when I invoked Lilypond manually
> on the command line:
>
> [...]
>
> Obviously some encoding/unicode problem, but I'm not sure if the
> culprit is LilyPond or Frescobaldi?

Umm, so if it works from the command line but not from Frescobaldi, it
could be that the invocation from there doesn't pass the filename as
UTF-8 and Guile 1.8 works by chance due to magical conversions going on
somewhere? That would need to be fixed in Frescobaldi, I suppose...

Jonas