Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:26:23 +0200

Hi Jonas,

Obviously some encoding/unicode problem, but I'm not sure if the
culprit is LilyPond or Frescobaldi?

Umm, so if it works from the command line but not from Frescobaldi, it
could be that the invocation from there doesn't pass the filename as
UTF-8 and Guile 1.8 works by chance due to magical conversions going on
somewhere? That would need to be fixed in Frescobaldi, I suppose...

Not as far as I can make out.

Frescobaldi passes a python3 string into QProcess.start() (so everything should be UTF-8).

If I let Frescobaldi use not a Lilypond binary but a shell script that dumps its command line parameters into a file, I get a UTF-8 encoded file with the "correct" file name. But if that script also does /.../lilypond "$@", then guile1.8-Lilypond succeeds while guile2.2-LilyPond fails.

Of course it's always possible that some implicit conversion is going on at some point in the chain, but I'm at a loss to pinpoint it.

Do you have any suggestion which route I could try to find out?

Lukas