Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 16:05:20 +0200

Hi Jonas,

Am 14.05.21 um 21:59 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
Am Freitag, dem 14.05.2021 um 20:35 +0200 schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser:
I just remembered that I have another encoding problem with LilyPond,
namely special characters in \bootOutputSuffix lead to replacement
characters __ in the name of the generated file. Which means I should
investigate the encoding used in my file system after all.
Is that with all LilyPond versions, including the "old" Guile 1.8?
You may also try a shell script calling "locale" to see what
environment you actually get when compiling a score from Frescobaldi...

That was the crucial idea. Thanks!

Found it now: If you enable "Run LilyPond with English messages" in Frescobaldi ("LilyPond mit Englischen Meldungen starten") - which I had, although I don't remember why -, it does (cf. frescobaldi_app/job/lilypond.py:121):

            self.environment['LANG'] = 'C'
            self.environment['LC_ALL'] = 'C'

This doesn't disturb Guile1.8-LilyPond:

lukas@Aquarium:/tmp$ ~/lilypond-versions/2.22.0/bin/lilypond tröt.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.22.0
»tröt.ly« wird verarbeitet
Analysieren...
Interpretation der Musik...
Vorverarbeitung der grafischen Elemente...
Ideale Seitenanzahl wird gefunden...
Musik wird auf eine Seite angepasst...
Systeme erstellen...
Konvertierung nach »tröt-tröt.pdf«...
Kompilation erfolgreich beendet

lukas@Aquarium:/tmp$ LANG=C ~/lilypond-versions/2.22.0/bin/lilypond tröt.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.22.0
Processing `tröt.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Converting to `tröt-tr__t.pdf'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

So LilyPond still finds the file, but we see my \bootOutputSuffix problem (tröt.ly contains such a command).

Now with Guile2-LilyPond:

lukas@Aquarium:/tmp$ ~/lilypond-versions/2.22.1-guile22/lilypond/bin/lilypond tröt.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.22.1
»tröt.ly« wird verarbeitet
Analysieren...
Interpretation der Musik...
Vorverarbeitung der grafischen Elemente...
Ideale Seitenanzahl wird gefunden...
Musik wird auf eine Seite angepasst...
Systeme erstellen...
Konvertierung nach »tröt-tröt.pdf«...
Kompilation erfolgreich beendet

lukas@Aquarium:/tmp$ LANG=C ~/lilypond-versions/2.22.1-guile22/lilypond/bin/lilypond tröt.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.22.1
warning: cannot find file: `tr??t.ly'
fatal error: failed files: "tr??t.ly"

So I guess Frescobaldi's way of forcing LilyPond to display English messages (just force LANG and LC_ALL to C) has unintended side-effects for pathnames that somehow were partly masked before by some conversion magic that no longer happens with Guile2-LilyPond.

Thanks much for your help!
Lukas