Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [PoC] EXPERIMENTAL binaries of LilyPond 2.22.1
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:45:59 +0200

Am Freitag, dem 14.05.2021 um 16:26 +0200 schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> > > Obviously some encoding/unicode problem, but I'm not sure if the
> > > culprit is LilyPond or Frescobaldi?
> > >
> > Umm, so if it works from the command line but not from Frescobaldi, it
> > could be that the invocation from there doesn't pass the filename as
> > UTF-8 and Guile 1.8 works by chance due to magical conversions going on
> > somewhere? That would need to be fixed in Frescobaldi, I suppose...
>
> Not as far as I can make out.
>
> Frescobaldi passes a python3 string into QProcess.start() (so everything
> should be UTF-8).
>
> If I let Frescobaldi use not a Lilypond binary but a shell script that
> dumps its command line parameters into a file, I get a UTF-8 encoded
> file with the "correct" file name. But if that script also does
> /.../lilypond "$@", then guile1.8-Lilypond succeeds while
> guile2.2-LilyPond fails.
>
> Of course it's always possible that some implicit conversion is going on
> at some point in the chain, but I'm at a loss to pinpoint it.
>
> Do you have any suggestion which route I could try to find out?

Not really, other than maybe writing a small C program that dumps the
arguments as binary in hex code? However, I just tested on my system
with Frescobaldi 3.1.3 and it can compile both a file with special
characters in the filename as well as in a directory with special
characters. Are you sure that all of your filesystem is UTF-8 and that
Frescobaldi is started in an UTF-8 locale?

Jonas