Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:02:34 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> Is it that you want more than one person to edit the LilyPond source
> simultaneously?

Not literally simultaneously… but "at the same time" (q.v. Lilybin). That is,
we could be on Zoom (or whatever) talking about the music, and the student and
I could alternately edit and save the file (which the other could then see
immediately).

> Why could you not have the source file on say Google Drive, reflected
> to the local computer, and edit with local LilyPond/Frescobaldi?

I want to essentially eliminate the need for the students (or, in my wider
vision, the general user) to install anything on their personal device.

In February 2013, I wrote out a piccolo part for the overture to one of my
musicals **at 7:30PM on opening night, in a browser (lilybin) on a computer in
the theatre box office, which I then generated as a PDF and printed on the box
office printer, and then handed it to the wind player at 7:55PM in time for the
8:00PM downbeat**.

That was one of the most inspiring, empowering, and impressive things I’ve ever
done — as in, it impressed me, and everyone in the orchestra, that it could
even be done! But I happen(ed) to know how to code Lilypond files by hand;
otherwise, I couldn’t have done that.

I want to give music educators and their students that kind of power and
flexibility, without requiring them to learn how to write Lilypond code from
scratch.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)